Monday, 1 June 2015

So its feb the 12 and we are on our way to the first town. There is a gathering of aboriginal people and we are doing a freedom ride to try and prevent discrimination against aboriginals. This freedom rides bus is full of indigenous and non indigenous  people that want to publicise and show people that black people are treated lesser than white people because of there skin tone. we are not aloud stuff like going to pools and clubs. on the side of the bus we have (SAFA) which stands for Student Action For Aboriginals. Here is a map of the towns we are going to stop at over the next two weeks. Really nervous about Moree because I've heard they are very racist but if Martin Luther King jr could have success in the USA I'm sure we can have it here.
(Perkins for freedom, 2015)
 








Charles Perkins and the freedom rides.(2015). Retrieved from:http://perkinsforfreedom.weebly.com/freedom-rides.html

9 comments:

  1. Good start Nano, it is quite exciting to be embarking on the first event with SAFA. It is great to see that there is aboriginal people and also people who aren't supporting the rights and giving freedom to aboriginal people. It is sad to see how aboriginal people are denied access to go in pools and clubs. they should be entitled to the right of having a normal life just like we have. It is so good to see that you are apart of the team, good luck. -Judith Rich (Jade)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traveling on the bus was horrific, i remember the treatment towards the indigenous citizens was horrific. Though when i first came to hear about this journey that is going to be held, i was excited though scared at the same time, because of the shooting that occurred in the US. Overall i was excited about traveling around NSW to deliver a protest against racial discrimination, your blog is very inspirational, cant wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! I believe we should have the same rights as the white. It's annoying to see the way they are treated and we are now finally doing something about it. I'm so happy that we have finally been able to take a stand and fight against what we believe. I hate the fact that people keep judging us by our skin colour. It's unfair and silly. I can't wait to protest and be allowed into restaurants, pools, clubs and etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We should all be equal, I love it how you aren't just sitting around waiting for other people to do something about this segregation. You are getting up and doing something about it that requires bravery. I wish you all the best on your travels around New south wales. Please keep me updated. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing this journey. I think it’s so important that we raise awareness for the epidemic racial discrimination in our country. We all deserve to have the same rights and freedoms and we should all be treated the same. I believe this Freedom Ride will be a success and will start us all on the road to a more equal country. Please keep this up to date; it will be interesting to see what happens in the future. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really hoping we can make a real difference on this trip, I'm so nervous for the outcome but I'm excited too. I just hope we don't get involved in any violence but I'm sure it's unavoidable. Hope to read more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good work its good to see someone standing up for the aboriginal

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must be scary at time, not being sure how you will be received in each town. This is such an important thing to be involved in - so well done! Have a great time and I hope you are able to change the hearts and minds of the people you come into contact with.

    ReplyDelete